The Naxos Shipwreck
Description: The “Golfo di Patti” were ancoring in the Harbor of Naxos , in september 1984. The impact with the dock was so intense that every joint between the metal plates broke and her bottom was completely ripped out. Between the stern and the bow section the entire wreck lies in one piece across the sand bottom. almost the entire bow are deep in the sand bottom. The stern, propeller, rudder, winches and engine are still very well preserved. As a part of the stern breaks the surface, the wreck is easy to locate. An easy wreck to dive as she lies between O m and 15 m and suitable for experienced and open water divers. Due to her location, the Glfo di Patti is accessible in calm seas and preferably in the afternoon due to many traffic of boat inside the Harbour. Perfect for a shallow last dive of the day. A very interesting aspect of this dive is the large concentration of encrusting organism with a dominant orange-red colour and in a very pristine condition.
The Ship: The Golfo di Patti was renamed in 1976 “Gunilla” and her final owner, Compagnia Gonzaga, renamed her again with actual name in 1980. The “Golfo di Patti” built in: Cantieri Navali La Spezia, Italy, launched in 1962. Type: Tourist Ferry Ship Gross Tonnage: 1752, Length: 48.5 m, With: 8.0 m Draught: 1.82 m, Ship holds: 2 Engine: 6-cylinder diesel, Speed: 12 knots Transport: Tourist, Sailing from: Messina,